carbs are my downfall, and for the most part, i avoid them. (refined) carbs are a no good dirty whore of a foodgroup. so tempting. so nutritionally shallow. so guilt inducing. eff you, carbs.
dan is able to eat carbs in moderation and while i am extremely jealous, i do cook foods for him and not eat them myself. we will have the same protein with our dinner, but i'll have only a veggie on the side and make some kind of starch for him, like potatoes, rice or pasta. strangely, i don't have too hard of a time resisting that stuff. bread and sweets are harder to turn down, but i don't keep sweets at home, and i can turn down the bread 95% of the time. occasionally i will have a fresh rye bread indiscretion, but I AM ONLY HUMAN GODDAMNIT.
i made dan a pretty yummy breakfast this morning. he said it tasted like bacon french toast, so that's what we'll call it.
bacon french toast muffins
4 circles cut out of 4 pieces of bread big enough to jam in the bottom of your muffin tins. mine are medium sized (save the rest for breadcrumbs, snacking, feeding to your dog.. whatevs)
dash of milk
4 peices cooked bacon, cut in half
about 1/4 cup of grated cheese.. your choice which kind.
pam for spraying the muffin tins
- preheat oven to 400
- crack eggs into bowl. add salt and pepper plus the dash of milk. scramble them.
- spray muffin tins well with pam.
- jam the bread circles into the bottom of 4 muffin tins.
- place a half a peice of bacon on the bread circle.
- cover each bacon bread circle with scrambled egg.
- place a half piece of bacon on top of each egg muffin
- sprinkle top with grated cheese. i used beemster, because i have a metric fucktonne left over from my cheese wedding cake.( i will post about THAT shortly.)
- cook in oven for about 8 minutes. your oven mileage may vary. these were just set but not overcooked.
- let rest for a minute or so until they pull away from the sides of the muffin tin. or, if you're impatient like me, just run around the edges with a steak knife and pry those bastards out.
|he thought they were yummy.|
my lunch was a recipe invented by my friend kat. kat is a kindred spirit who also watches her carbs and has a playful cooking imagination. this buffalo chicken wing soup recipe is something i make at least once a month. it tastes like you're getting away with eating something decadent and bad for you. who doesn't love deep friend juicy chicken wings schmeared in blue cheese dip? this soup takes all the flavours that make that bar snack delicious, without all the calories from the deep fryer and fatty dip. i agree with her husband's assessment that this soup is great as a vehicle for blue cheese. blue cheese on everything!!
find the link to kat's delicious buffalo chicken soup recipe on her amazing blog: here!!
|before i adorned it with its delicious blue cheese crown.|
sometimes i make egg muffins like those for me, but i omit the bread. they are still pretty tasty!
alllllright, i gotta get to work. people's backs need rubbing, and i'm the girl to do it!